About Me

My name is Genevieve Woods and in addition to being the mother of an adorable preschooler named Oscar and his adorable toddler brother Henry, I am the Children's Buyer at Spellbinder Books, a small independent bookstore in Bishop, California. I am often asked by customers for recommendations...and thus the idea for this blog was sparked.

Many sites recommending books for kids are created by librarians and non-profits. While these are great sites, they often recommend out-of-print books. This site is all about the great books that are available now! While I am not being paid for these recommendations, I would appreciate it if readers would purchase the books I recommend from local independent bookstores, or even B&N. Basically don't buy from the evil empire (A_A_O_), because if you do much of our literary knowledge will be lost.

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Thank You Jan Brett!

Last year at this time I welcomed my second son, Henry into our family. This glorious occasion had an unfortunate side effect, apparently after two children one looses the ability to focus on the printed word. Okay, that is an exaggeration, but after a year of minimal sleep and hectic days it is true that my reading has decreased dramatically. This lack of reading led to a lack of blog posts. I knew I wouldn't be able to do my 5 BEST Lists this year, but I was hoping put out a good Christmas post. I was looking forward to sharing new and beautiful tales of snow and Santa with you. Alas that is not to be, while I do love the board book edition of Uri Shulevitz's SNOW I was generally underwhelmed by this year's Christmas picture book production. Fortunately I have past years to draw on, and fortunately one talented author and artist is so prolific and so fond of snowy scenes I don't even have to try hard to put up a good display.

Thank you Jan Brett. Thank you for allowing me to put up displays every Christmas that not only sell books (so very important for our struggling little store), but allow me smiles every time I pass by. It seems that every time I look at Jan Brett cover, I see something new, a little detail I missed before. Your books look beautiful on our store tables, and I am so happy to have them to rely on.











No comments:

Post a Comment