About Me

My name is Genevieve Woods and in addition to being the mother of an adorable preschooler named Oscar and his adorable toddler brother Henry, I am the Children's Buyer at Spellbinder Books, a small independent bookstore in Bishop, California. I am often asked by customers for recommendations...and thus the idea for this blog was sparked.

Many sites recommending books for kids are created by librarians and non-profits. While these are great sites, they often recommend out-of-print books. This site is all about the great books that are available now! While I am not being paid for these recommendations, I would appreciate it if readers would purchase the books I recommend from local independent bookstores, or even B&N. Basically don't buy from the evil empire (A_A_O_), because if you do much of our literary knowledge will be lost.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Oscar's Favorites at 2.75!

Fortunately for me, Oscar loves books. He loves rhymes, and he loves a good story. Below are the titles most frequently requested at bedtime.

It doesn't actually matter which book of Mother Goose poems it is, as long as there are some pictures Oscar will like it. We have, and Oscar adores, the fancy Sylvia Long edition, but it doesn't include as many poems as some of the other budget friendly compilations. Grandma has the edition pictured above, and when we go to her house Oscar seems to like it just fine.

When Betty Bunny eats chocolate cake for the first time, she declares, "I am going to marry chocolate cake." She loves it so much that she takes a piece to school with her in her pocket and refuses to eat anything else.

I'm a sucker for well-meaning but misbehaving children, and Betty Bunny is one of our favorites. I also love her wise-cracking big brother Bill. The only thing I don't like about this story is that Betty Bunny's mom makes me look like a frumpy dumpy mess! If only I could dress as fashionably as the Bunny family.

This entertaining  book about a family with a penchant for cat adoptions is filled with fun illustrations and repetitive rhymes that Oscar loves. I only hope he never starts to take the book too seriously as we are renters and therefore we are NOT planning on getting any cats or dogs in the future.

Chicken Big is a hilarious twist on the classic Chicken little. With all it's word bubbles and jokes it should be too old for Oscar, but he likes it anyway - hopefully he'll like it for a long long time.

The other night in the bathtub Oscar asked me to sing him the tugboat song. I had no idea what he was talking about, so I asked him to sing it for me, and he started reciting the words to our book Tugga-Tugga Tugboat. We started reading Tugga-Tugga Tugboat to Oscar before he was a year old, and he loved it. I thought that he would have outgrown the book by now, but he hasn't, in fact this last month Tugga-Tugga Tugboat has seen a resurgence in popularity in our house and has become his most asked for book at nighttime.

No comments:

Post a Comment