About Me

My name is Genevieve Woods and in addition to being the mother of an adorable preschooler named Oscar and his adorable toddler brother Henry, I am the Children's Buyer at Spellbinder Books, a small independent bookstore in Bishop, California. I am often asked by customers for recommendations...and thus the idea for this blog was sparked.

Many sites recommending books for kids are created by librarians and non-profits. While these are great sites, they often recommend out-of-print books. This site is all about the great books that are available now! While I am not being paid for these recommendations, I would appreciate it if readers would purchase the books I recommend from local independent bookstores, or even B&N. Basically don't buy from the evil empire (A_A_O_), because if you do much of our literary knowledge will be lost.

Friday, February 19, 2010

WHEELIES!

The Perfect Gift for any boy under 5 (and quite a few girls too)...
WHEELIES!


Wheelies are basic board books, with 1 - 5 word descriptions of pictures of tractors, motorcycles, or sports cars....with wheels. So if your sweet little one is not quite into books yet, they will see it as a toy car. If your sweet little one does like books, then they get a book and a toy in one.

Around 6 months of age Oscar developed a fascination with wheels; he would try to eat the ones on the stroller, which was a little gross. So he really liked the Wheelie book I got him on diggers. He didn't know what a digger was, but he would sit through me turning a page or two, and then he would play with the wheels. Now at 14 months he wants me to read to book, and still plays with it as a toy - wheeling it across the room.

As with most toys, there is a possibility that a Wheelie's wheels could come off, and if that happened parts could be a choking hazard. So don't let a child younger than three play with a Wheelie, without supervision. That said, I have not yet seen a Wheelie disintegrate, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Until my next post, all Wheelies at the bookstore are 20% off. Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment