About Me

My name is Genevieve Woods and in addition to being the mother of an adorable preschooler named Oscar and his adorable toddler brother Henry, I am the Children's Buyer at Spellbinder Books, a small independent bookstore in Bishop, California. I am often asked by customers for recommendations...and thus the idea for this blog was sparked.

Many sites recommending books for kids are created by librarians and non-profits. While these are great sites, they often recommend out-of-print books. This site is all about the great books that are available now! While I am not being paid for these recommendations, I would appreciate it if readers would purchase the books I recommend from local independent bookstores, or even B&N. Basically don't buy from the evil empire (A_A_O_), because if you do much of our literary knowledge will be lost.

Friday, July 24, 2009

Boxcar Vampires?

It makes sense for publishers to cash in on the vampire craze. Vampire books sell, so why not make as many as possible? I may roll my eyes at the sheer number vampire books listed in the catalogues, but I understand that fans of Twilight need additional books to satisfy their needs. But but but but but but - BUT I never thought the craze would make it's way into the Boxcar Children!
This September the Boxcar Children is coming out with it's 120th book - The Vampire Mystery! Now, for $4.99, 8 year-olds can enjoy vampire lore as well! When I saw it in the catalogue I laughed for ten minutes, I was crying, my eyes watered, in truth it made my day.

This means nothing if you don't know the Boxcar Children. It is an early chapter book series created by 1st grade teacher Gertrude Chandler Warner in 1924. I read the first book as a youngin, and though I was never prone to cleaning, I too wanted to make my own broom out of a stick and twigs; I wonder if the author knew her protagonists would be encountering vampires in the future?

2 comments:

  1. I hope you get a chance to read The Mystery of the Vampire. It is a sweet and fun mystery in the traditional Boxcar Children style. Not a hint of Twilight here. This is a great Halloween story for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair enough! I'll bring a book into the store for Halloween. We'll see how it does!

    -Genevieve

    ReplyDelete